Sunday, March 14, 2010

Well! I figured since I didn't have something interesting to post everyday other than my quotes, I would wait until there were a few things to blog about and do it all in one shot. So, as some of you might already know, I am in a book club. It started out as the Canada Reads book club but since that is over tomorrow for another year, we decided to keep the club going and each pick books that we want to read but instead of meeting every week like for Canada Reads, we would meet once a month or something. I should be able to finish a book in a month.

Let me give you a little background on Canada Reads. Canada Reads celebrates five Canadian books for three months online, at public events and on air. It all leads up to a week-long show on CBC Radio which just happens to be this week. In the annual title fight, five celebrity panelists defend their favourite work of Canadian fiction. One by one, books are voted off the list, until one panelist triumphs with the book for Canada to read this year. Here are this year's books.



My friends Noel and Stacey introduced me to this neat little thing that Canada had going on and since I've wanted to be in a book club FOREVER I suggested we start our own and do all the Canada Reads books. We got a few gals together and met at a different person's house for each book. Wine and food was a must and book talk usually ended up in girl talk by the end of the evening. Having to read 5 books in 1 month was a little tight and I am still rushing through the last one (even though it was voted off last night). At the beginning of March we welcomed a new member to our club: Miss Eloise Corriveau!! We had the meeting at my place not long after she was born as well as a little baby shower for Eloise and Stacey. Here are a few pics!










To change the subject a little bit, I have to share with you my newest purchase.

My new lamp!


I know it isn't made of gold or anything but I hadn't bought myself anything in a really long time and I had to have it. I was walking through Scotia Square to catch the bus when I saw that Wicker Emporium was having a Liquidation Sale. I went in and they said that the store was moving to Dartmouth Crossing (big surprise) so they were trying to get rid of their stock so they didn't have to move it all over there. Everything was 70% off!! So this lamp was originally 139.99 and I got it for whatever 70% off that is (I can't remember right off the top of my head and forget about me doing math!) I don't think I would have paid more than the sale price for it cause it's that faux-wood stuff that is definetely not worth $139.99. It looks really cute where I have it too!

The only question that is nagging me now is if I should get another one for the other end table in my living room. See, Wicker Emporium did have another lamp like the one I bought but it was at the store in Bayers Lake and was not on sale. What do you guys think? Should I go get the other one or is one ok in a living room? There doesn't always have to be two matchings lamps right?

1 comment:

The Conner Clan said...

ok, if the second lamp is $139.99 then NO! do not buy the second lamp. it is perfectly acceptable to have one lamp in the living room. if you had been reaaallllyyy smart, you would've bought the second one at the liquidation sale...yeah? that's just what i think....but kudos. tres cute lamp! :)