Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Hockey and Shopping!

As some of you may know, my little sister Sarah, who is 17, went away to Ridley College in St. Catharines, Ontario for grade 10 on a full hockey scholarship. She went back this year for her grade 11 and is still loving playing hockey. I love watching her and am sooo proud of her. I think she is really really good but she is the humblest (if that is a word) person I have ever met and works really hard for her accomplishments. Because she is a Nova Scotia resident, she flies home pretty often during the year for different tournaments and hockey camps. She has made the female Team Nova Scotia every year since she was 12 and out of 5 years, Nova Scotia has only lost the championship once! This year, Team Nova Scotia tryouts were the week before Mother's Day so Sarah flew home for the tryouts in Upper Tantallon. Mom and Dad also came up and everyone stayed at my place for the weekend. But this weekend's tryouts were a little different than all the other years tryouts. This year, Team Nova Scotia will be the Canada Games Team in February of 2011!!! Sarah had to be in tip top shape because there were scouts everywhere and 80 girls trying out. Only about 25 make the team. So even though it was a gorgeous weekend outside, I spent it wrapped up and freezing in the rink cheering Sarah on. Here are a few pics of Sarah in action.
She's #18 in red







She found out a week ago that she made the first cut! The second round of tryouts are June 25-27 at Dal and if she makes the second cut, the third round of tryouts are at the end of August. I'll keep you all posted!!

While Mom and Dad were up for the tryouts, Mom and I got to spend some quality time together. While Dad took Sarah to her practice on Saturday afternoon, Mom and I went to the mall to do some shopping! I had mentionned to her that I wanted to start looking for a nice set of grown-up dishes since I still have the mix match set that I got when I left home 8 years ago. And since I would kind of consider my grand-mother on my mother's side and my mother mini dish-snobs, what better person to go with! My grand-mother had like 3 sets of Royal Doulton that no one was allowed to eat out of and my mom now has some of those dishes in the china cabinet (a place where things are not allowed to be touched and never make it out into the real world of place settings). Mom knows all the names of all the patterns on the dishes and what exactly consitutes a place setting. (I, on the other hand, could eat almost everything without even using utensils and using the same plate for everything). But I thought it was probably time to grow up and buy or at least look for some real dishes so that I can actually have people over for meals. So we headed to The Bay. One of my cousins got married about 8 years ago and they were registered at The Bay. When Mom and I came shopping for their wedding gift, Mom noticed they had registered for Denby dinnerware. I had no idea what it was but when Mom showed me, I fell in love with it. So that's what we went to look at at The Bay. There are a lot of different patterns and shapes and sizes in the sets. I am not ready to buy it now but I am going to keep my eyes and ears open for where there is a sale at The Bay and that might just be the perfect time to get it! This is my favorite pattern at the moment but I am trying not to fall in love with it too much because Denby changes their stock pretty often and once a pattern is taken out of the store, you can no longer order it either.


I also really like this one but I think I might get tired of the polks dots....


Which one do you guys like the best??

While we were at The Bay, I just happened to look at the duvet covers. I have been wanting a new one for a really long time as I have had my red flowered print one from IKEA for like 5 years now. It's not that I am sick of my old one, I just wanted to change it up. I have seen lots of nice ones over the past 2 years (yes, that's how long I have been looking) but none that I really fell in love with. Until then.

This is the pattern close up!



The best thing about it is that the duvet is reversible!! This is what the pillow shams and the other side of the duvet look like.


I can't wait to buy accessories that will match it! I am thinking a lime green bedside lamp and purple throw pillows.

1 comment:

The Conner Clan said...

hahahah ok, my favorite part of the post was "I, on the other hand, could eat almost everything without even using utensils..." ...you're such an animal :)

i think out of the pics, i like the polka dot one better but i do know that pics don't do those dishes justice. did you see the polka dot ones in the store as well?